THE 3D DIGITAL ARTIST PROGRAMME
The 3DDA programme is an industry approved high-level education focusing on the skillsets required for working as a 3D artist in VFX, games, animation, and new media formats.
As a student you will experience a creative learning environment, where our practical hands-on approach quickly will enhance your technical and artistic skills, while building a solid theoretic understanding. You will work with many different types of software to ensure that you will master the relevant technologies and know how to use them in different projects and productions – both with fellow students from the programme as well as students from other universities and film schools, providing a unique possibility for applying your skills in a collaborative effort.
- 3½ years of full-time studies
- Approved for SU and additional SU
- Industry approved curriculum
- International guest teachers from leading studios
- A full-term internship during the last term.
- Study trip abroad during the education
- We welcome international students
- High employment rates after graduation
The programme for 3D digital artist aims to qualify the student to achieve relevant employment in the digital visual industry (DVI) immediately after graduation. This is done by:
- Giving the student a theoretical understanding of creative, artistic and technical processes within the production of 3D-based visual products.
- Giving the student practical method understanding within the development, organization, and production of 3D-based visual products.
- Provide the student with a basis for continuously developing his artistic talent and, on this basis, increasing the students value in the labor market.
- Strengthen the innovative capacity of the student through interdisciplinary collaborations.
Foundation theory and practice
The students will be introduced to the fundamental subjects within 3D pipeline such as modelling, texturing, lighting, simulation, rigging, simple animation, rendering, as well as pre and postproduction. There are no exams in the 1st semester.
- 3D Basics (6 ECTS)
- Modelling I (3 ECTS)
- Modelling II (3 ECTS)
- Style Matching (8 ECTS)
- Game Character (10 ECTS)
As part of the above-mentioned topics the following will be covered:
- Pipeline Literacy
- Productivity Literacy
- Technical Literacy
- Visual Literacy
- Concept and Editorial Literacy
Character animation & production
The students will be introduced to the fundamental subjects associated with producing 3D for narrative formats such as game worlds and animation short films. The semester is structured around project-oriented work.
- Animation 1 (6 ECTS)
- World Creation (10 ECTS)
- Environmental LookDev (3 ECTS)
- Short Film (8 ECTS)
- Exam Prep (3 ECTS)
As part of the above-mentioned subjects the following will be covered:
- Concept and Editorial Literacy
- Game Literacy
- Cinematography Literacy
Mastering Theory & Practice I
The students will be advancing their knowledge in several specialized areas. Focus is on individual assignments.
- Visual Understanding (2 ECTS)
- Rigging II (5 ECTS)
- Animation II (5 ECTS)
- Hair and Fur (2 ECTS)
- Procedural (8 ECTS)
- Shading, lighting, and Rendering (3 ECTS)
- XR production (5 ECTS)
Mastering Theory & Practice II
The students will be advancing their knowledge in several specialized areas. Focus will be shifting between individual assignments and project-oriented work. In the end of the semester, the student will take on a 3-week individual project.
- Sculpting (4 ECTS)
- Shading, lighting, and rendering II (4 ECTS)
- Virtual Production I (4 ECTS)
- Film production (10 ECTS)
- Individual project (8 ECTS)
The students will expand their knowledge of game production through project-oriented work in collaboration with external partners, e.g. DADIU, The Danish Film School or Aalborg University. Subjects covered through the semester includes game pipeline, game production methodology, iterative and collaborative processes, game art and technology.
- Game production (30 ECTS).
The students will explore a subject of their own choice throughout the semester in the framework of a thesis project. The project consists of a practical hand-in, a written hand-in and an oral defense.
- Thesis project (30 ECTS).
The students will intern in one or more relevant companies, enabling the student to apply his or hers skills in a professional environment. The semester is concluded with a hand-in of a showreel demonstrating the students work.
- Internship (30 ECTS).